Friday, October 3, 2008

October 3, 2008

Well, my visit to see Gelding #2 was kind of like how we discovered our apartment: I was happy with the 1st gelding so anything more would have been a bonus. It was! I could see how tenative this poor woman was with him-she had a bad fall of a mare a few years ago, and she's just so timid and non-authoratative with her horses. I was surprised at how beautiful he is-bay with a white blaze, one stocking and this magestic wavy mane and forelock. I could immediately tell how squirrely he was, but he did have good manners when she led him out to the pasture. He was very interested in what I was doing and kept wanting to nibble on my fingers. As she was lunging him, he was so full of it! Not in the "I want to straight up kick your face in" Spree-esque way, but more a wheeeeeeeeeeeee! type of way. Like a hyper kid on candy. He's sat for months and they've had him on a sweet feed, so no fricking wonder. He really wanted to trot and canter, and a few times he started galloping around and kicking out. I was laughing-he was obviously having a good time. I lunged him too, and he listened like a good boy. Still speedy :)

As we were tacking him up, he stood well, took the bit easily. I hopped on, and we did w/t and some side passing. He kept trying to sneakily chomp at hanging tree branches as we'd pass them, and it was hilarious. I just felt really good about it, like he was doing it all in fun because he felt like it. He said "no thanks" when I asked for a canter, but that's ok. I don't think he liked the bit he was in (I'm going to use a D-ring snaffle), but he backed up beautifully. He kind of struck me like Daegan did at first-a little silly and zoomy and playful but also curious and wanting to be loved.

I told the woman with gelding #1 that I had found someone else. I wrote a really nice e-mail and her response was "Alright thank you." *shrugs* The people who own Blaze are willing to give me the flexible lease terms I need as well. They're scheduling his Coggins test and will get the farrier out before he comes over, but I am so excited. I know I'm making the right choice because I have no desire to keep looking. With Spree and all throughout I've kept my eyes and ears open for other horses. Speaking of Spree, I have yet to receive a response from Jenn around the e-mail I sent her saying I was ending my lease there. I'm not really worried, as she's said multiple times I can cancel when I want, but I'd still like to firmly know its settled. Honestly, I won't feel completely at ease until all papers are signed and I'm watching Blaze graze in the pasture.

I now have a lot of homework to do on horse nutrition. I also have to figure out if I'm selling my car and if I want to buy a cheaper, used car for the winter so I can drive out to ride. Decisions decisions.

No comments: