Thursday, October 23, 2008

October 23, 2008

Going to give this a quick update so I don't fall off in posting regularly. My grooming supplies and bridle finally came-yay! I'm still waiting on my bit though, which is frustrating. I'm hoping it will come today or tomorrow and I can finally get on and RIDE. I think I've given Blaze a good time frame to settle in (about a week+) but I'm also not looking to ride him vigorously or anything. He's such a smart, willing boy for the most part, and I look forward to seeing how we do together under saddle.

He's much more respectful in his new rope halter, which is terrific. I'm going to get another lead rope soon, one that is softer and longer. I've been seriously fretting this week over him drinking water, because every time I bring him up from pasture he just dives into the nearest water bucket like he hasn't drank in days. I led him to the natural cistern, which he seemed wary of, and he's definitely scared of the water tank near the calves. We worked on going in there last night, but it was getting dark quickly and the calves were mooing a lot. He did come near it a few times, but not all the way. We worked on it again this morning (granted, the calves were gone) and he did wonderfully. He was definitely wary, but he trusted me enough to finally step up there and be led to the water. And then he drank! :) I just hope he's getting enough fluids, because that can really screw with a horse's system with all the roughage they eat. I pinched his skin and he doesn't seem dehydrated though.

I'll be taking Jenny out to meet him tomorrow-so excited! I wish I'd had more time to hang out with him before work this morning.

No comments: