Wednesday, October 15, 2008

October 15, 2008

Blaze ended up not being delivered on Sunday. I got out to the barn around quarter till 5, and at 5:30 they still hadn't shown up. I called Karen and they hadn't even been able to load him and had been trying since 4 pm. I was really bummed out, but at least I got to take my tack out, meet some of the other boarders and pet some baby calves.

I asked my BO if her offer still stood to help with trailering. She has a stock trailer, and readily agreed. We drove out there last night along with Brian, a nice teenager who rides at the barn, and it was a pretty comical hour. Blaze didn't seem that scared; more just confused on what Darlene was asking him to do. She was very patient with him, and the only times he got in troubles were when he would crowd her space. What eventually got him all the way up and into the trailer was apples, which I've learned are his absolute favorite. Once he was in we quickly shut the divider gate behind him and took off. He made the ride bumpy for a little while, but eventually settled down.

We were worried about a rushy unload, but he actually came out nice and calmly. I wrote Karen a check and told her I'd take excellent care of him. He's in a small arena for the time being until he can be properly introduced to the other geldings. He was funny to watch; trotting around with hay in his mouth, sniffing the air...they only sent me with 3 days of his sweet feed, which is a little frustrating, but I'll be picking up his new ration balancer feed (yay!) tonight, along with possibly some wormer (he's due Oct. 20). It's raining right now, and probably will be later, which will unfortunately hinder picture taking. But it will still be great to go out and check on him, start encorporating some of his new feed and just hang out with him a bit.

Yay new horse!

No comments: