Wednesday, October 1, 2008

October 1, 2008

Fall is here, and with it comes change. Jenn offered up awhile ago that I could get out of my lease with Spree, which I appreciated since at the time she was being (shocker) a total ass. We've had our bad and good days, mostly good, but I have to admit I completely stopped trying to lunge her. The one time I did she came at me like a rocket and not even throwing the lead rope at her chest deterred her. She's gotten better about her feet being handled, but is still a stinker to saddle, and really hates to be ridden in a bit. We've had some nice rides lately in a hackamore, which was definitely fun.

There was a minute there when I was full-force into thinking I was going to buy a horse, but it's not realistic right now. I'm keeping my car through the winter and will try and sell it again in the spring. I'm looking for another horse to lease, as it would make me so nervous to move Spree to the facility near my house because she has a hard time keeping weight on in the winter, she ruins her blanket and Jenn's still trying to sell her. I've ridden maybe 7 horses in the past month, which has been fun. I think I've decided on a gelding to lease, but since his owner can't move him for another 2 weeks and he would be a bit of a project (he's an utter gentleman on the ground, whew!) so I'm going to see another guy tonight. Who knows if she can offer me as sweet/flexible of lease terms as this first woman will, but it can't hurt to look.

I'll post about my thoughts on gelding #2 soon. #1 is a 6 yo. TB gelding, never raced, green broke. He's very shy and gentle, and just needs oodles of miles put on him under saddle. #2 is 12 yo. QH/Appy cross.

Here I go!

No comments: