Saturday, May 31, 2008

May 31, 2008




The last ride of May! I was determined to try riding bareback, something I haven't done since I was a kid, and even then it was on a lunge line and with a bareback pad. I was honestly a little nervous, but all you have for security is the mane and your seat. I wasn't planning on going any faster than a walk, because that way I could work on my balance and seat and getting a feel for her movements. We started with some free lunging, and she did excellent. Listened well, changed directions every time I asked, etc. I did this for about 15 minutes, then went and grabbed her bridle. She moved away the first time I went to put it on, so I sent her off for some more lunging. When she was listening and coming to me to stand, I put the bridle on and led her to the weird platform I use as a mounting block. It took a few tried for her to understand I wanted her to stand right next to it, but she didn't move as I mounted without a saddle.

And we were off! It's a pretty incredibly experience, riding completely bareback. I was wearing really thin tights, so there was little separating me from her skin. And to feel that much powerful animal underneath you is inspiring. I'm going to try and do it once a week. I actually did a great job of maintaining a good center and seat, because there were a few times when she'd break into a trot when I hadn't asked her to, and I was able to sit deep and slow her down without jolting around on her back. she did well listening to me seat and leg cues, but man was she barn sour today! She kept wanting to head back to the tack room every chance she got, and it took some serious circling and strong legs/rein aids to get her back out into the field. I had interest in going next door to Prarie Farms, but I figured it would be really crowded on a Saturday and my desire to ride bareback was more than my desire to have an adventure next door. As I was grooming her, she wasn't letting me pick up her back feet at all. I just let it go, but what I should have done was take her out and lunge her some more until she was listening and willing to let me pick them up. Gah :/

I think I'm finally ready to try her in English tack. I just prefer riding in it, I don't like the Western saddle that Jenn has, and I am starting to hate the Western reins on that bridle. So next time I ride, I'm going to lunge her in the English AP saddle that's in the tack room, then ride her a little in the arena and then head next door to see how she goes in the indoor arena. I'm excited!

No comments: